Monday, October 5, 2009

BRUSHES!!!



So, I have had many questions about makeup brushes...what are the best ones, what do I use personally, how do I take care of them, is it really better to use brushes, etc? I am here to answer your questions!
FIRST-YES, it is better to use brushes in most instances to apply your makeup. Notice I said MOST. There are certain products that I still apply with my fingers, but for the most part I use a brush. Having said that, I ALWAYS use a brush when working on a client, I use my fingers on my own face.
Brushes are ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for applying eye shadow-hands down-none of this sponge-tipped, came-with-the-eyeshadow mess. They don't blend the eyeshadow well, so you end up with these "blocks" of color on your eyes-not natural, especially if you're using more than one eyeshadow. So, I recommend using a soft bristled brush such as MAC's #217 brush (as seen at the top of the page). For those of you who know me well, you know this is probably my favorite brush of all time! This brush will pick up, deposit, and blend your eyeshadow all in one. And the best part about it is that it is soft enough that it won't "flick" the shadow all over your eye area as some of the poor quality brushes out there tend to do. So this is a nice beginner brush once starting your collection. This brush will run you about $23.00 or so. Also, a foundation brush is also going to be your best friend. Not only will it give you a much more even and beautiful application, but it will save you money!!! I cringe when ladies tell me that they use sponge wedges to put their foundation on! Think about it, what does a sponge do? It absorbs. It is absorbing your makeup. You are putting more foundation into that sponge that you're about to throw into the trash than you are on your face! What a waste! So, my advice to you is to spend the $40-$50 on a fantastic foundation brush (my favorite is MAC's #190). With all of the money you'll be saving on the foundation you're not wasting anymore, you can get yourself a fabulous pair of shoes, amen?
Now, if you are an aspiring makeup artist, I really shouldn't have to tell you this, but you never know...ALWAYS CLEAN YOUR BRUSHES BETWEEN EVERY CLIENT. If you are reading this for your own personal use and you are the ONLY person using your brushes, your brushes can be cleaned less often.
Now that you are investing in your brush collection, it is important to maintain your brushes properly. Cleaning them and storing them nicely is key. To clean them, MAC sells brush cleanser that is quick and very efficient. It is about $11.00 for a nice-sized bottle and it is great to use in between clients or for a quick clean. About once every couple of weeks, I like to deep clean my personal brushes with a mild baby shampoo and warm water. Some of your brushes (like the ones you use for cream-based products, like concealer and foundation) you may want to deep-clean more often. When deep-cleaning your brushes, make sure not to get any liquid in the silver part holding the bristles-this could loosen the glue holding the bristles, causing them to fall out. Once your brushes are clean, re-shape them and set them on the edge of a table or counter to that the head of the brush is fully exposed to the air so they will dry completely. (I usually do this before bed so that in the morning they're dry and ready for use!) You also want to make sure that you are storing them somewhere that they will not get damaged, especially the bristles. You don't want the bristles to get bent or broken, and you certainly don't want them to fall out. If you only have a few brushes, a pencil case is great to start out. But, once you get more, you might want to buy a brush roll. A brush roll is similar to one of those jewelry bags that rolls up. Same principle, just for your brushes instead of your baubles...
One other important reminder: DO NOT BUY ANY MAC BRUSHES ON EBAY. MOST OF THEM ARE FRAUDS. If the price is too good to be true, it's because it's not the real thing. Many clients came to me with fraudulent brushes and the brushes were awful! Don't be a sucker!
And lastly, what do I save my fingers for? Undereye concealer. Of course, if you are my client, I am not going to have my fingers all up in your face, but for myself, I use my fingers every morning for my undereye concealer. Not everyone would agree with me, and that's OK-that's why this is my blog! ;) I will tell you, however, that anytime I use my fingers on my face, I use my ring fingers only. They are the weakest fingers in your hand and you ESPECIALLY want to be careful with that delicate eye area. You also want to dab, not rub or pull. Remember, God only gave you one face, take good care of it!
I want to thank each and every one of you for reading my blog, and I want you all to know that all that I do, I do to glorify His name. I love making women feel beautiful about themselves, but no matter what I do, nothing compares to the true beauty God has put inside each and every one of us! 1 Peter 3:3-4
Melody




No comments:

Post a Comment